Mickey Rooney was reportedly adamant he not want to be buried near his estranged stepson, according to the late actor’s lawyer.
The screen legend passed away earlier this month at the age of 93.
But his lawyer tells the New York Daily News a battle continues over his final resting place.
“He certainly did not want to be buried where the stepson against whom we have a $2.8 million judgment might also be buried,” Vivian Thoreen told the outlet.
“It would just be the cruelest indignity. I’m going to do everything in my power to make sure that doesn’t happen.”
The News reports Mickey sued his stepson, Chris Aber, in 2011. Court documents allegedly make claims that Chris bullied his stepfather, withheld food and medication and mishandled his money.
Mickey’s lawyers attended a court hearing on Tuesday claiming Chris and his mother, the actor’s estranged eighth wife Jan Rooney, had planned to claim his body.
A burial was reportedly being planned at a family plot at Pierce Brothers Mortuary in Westlake Village, California.
The News reports the judge ordered Mickey’s body not be moved before a hearing scheduled for Friday.
Jan’s lawyer, Mitchell Karasov, meanwhile said his client was “shocked” by claims Mickey had edited his will under a conservatorship shortly before his death.
The alteration allegedly included a request he be buried in a cemetery with a link to other celebrities or to the military.
Mickey’s lawyer said she is “optimistic” a resolution will be reached soon.
“The last thing we want is further litigation with Jan. It would be a horrible disturbance,” Vivian Thoreen said.
The case continues.
© Cover Media