The 2018 Winter Games officially kick off Friday, February 9, 2018.
Here’s what you need to know before the Opening Ceremony:
- It’s South Korea’s first time hosting the Winter Games, although they did host the Summer Games in 1988.
- It’s going to be cold! Temperatures can drop down into the single digits this time of year!
- Ralph Lauren, the official outfitter of Team USA, designed special coats for the athletes with fabric that heats up with the touch of a button.
- Tickets to see the Games range anywhere from $17-$800. Hockey and figure skating tickets are the most expensive.
- 15 sports will be played this year
- For the first time ever, over 100 events will be featured during the Games.
- Russia isn’t allowed to compete over its doping controversy, although some Russian athletes are allowed to compete independently.
- North Korea and South Korea will march together in the opening ceremonies as Unified Korea.
- Six nations are making their Games debut: Ecuador, Eritrea, Kosovo, Malaysia, Nigeria and Singapore.
- The 2018 Winter Games are the last Games long-time sponsor McDonalds will be a part of.
- This year’s mascot is a white tiger named Soohorang.
Make sure to tune into Jeff & Jenn as I takes you behind the 2018 Winter Games!
Note: The advertisers on this page are not related to the PyeongChang 2018 Games and are the exclusive sponsors of this blog/website.